8 Ways to Kick Sugar to the Curb!
Sugar, that sweet sensational substance that has us all following it like a mass of zombies….think, walking dead.
Now, don’t get me wrong here, I do enjoy a sweet treat once in a while….but there’s a very fine, thin, faint and fragile balance between having just a little bit of sugar once in a while and becoming completely obsessed with it.
I speak from experience when I say that once you jump on the sugar train, it’s really freaking hard to get off. Having just had Halloween I’ve definitely needed to ween myself away from mini chocolate bars (which are a joke, by the way…..because they make you feel like you can have 15 and it’s no big deal…mean while, you’ve just eaten 2 full size chocolate bars….ugh)
Any who, I digress….
I’m here to offer you some helpful tips to become more aware of what your body is truly craving and how you can break free of the vicious sugar cycle. These are all things that I’ve put in to practice and benefitted from:
- Check Your Bevvies! Sounds crazy, but sometimes sweet cravings are a sign of dehydration. So pound a glass of water, wait 5 minutes and then see if you still have the craving. Also, too much caffeine mimics a blood sugar crash – you’re high for a bit but then you come crashing down and crave….SUGAR, of course.
- Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth with Sweet Veggies, Fruit & Spices. Your tongue has sweet taste buds that demand to be satisfied, so don’t deprive those little buds from what they want! Add naturally sweet foods & spices to your diet like squash, yams, carrots, beets, berries, figs, apples, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Sleep! For many of us, this is easier said than done. But if you’re constantly tired, your body is going to look for energy, usually in the form or sugar or caffeine. Power down an hour earlier than usual, and notice how your cravings disappear.
- Check Your Macros. If you’re having a sweet craving after every single meal take a minute to look back and notice what you had eaten. Did you include protein, carbs and healthy fats? Did you have enough of each? If you are depriving your body of one of these essential nutrients it’s going to strive to find it somewhere else….which unfortunately leads to cravings….sweet cravings. So don’t be shy, put all three on your plate!
- Sniff Out Low-Fat and Fat Free Foods. When food manufacturers take the fat out of foods, what do they put in? Yep, sugar. So please, DO NOT BE FOOLED BY, “low fat”, “fat free” labels….kick em to the curb.
- Move Yo’self. Movement is another kind of food for your body. It releases stress, makes you feel great and look great. When you don’t get enough, the body starts to look for other ways to blow off steam, like binging on mini chocolate bars.
- Create New Post-Meal Rituals. If you’re a “dessert after your meal” person, one of the things you might love about that is the ritual of it. What are other possibilities for post-meal rituals? A walk with your pooch around the block, a hot herbal fruity tea, a dance session to your favourite jam, a drop of peppermint essential oil on your tongue…..
- Take a Minute. I want you to try something. Next time you are having a sugar craving, STOP and think about why you may be having that craving. What is your physical, emotional or spiritual body lacking or needing? Are you trying to avoid a deeper issue by smashing some ice cream? If you can recognize this, be honest with yourself and say “YES! I’m feeling frustrated at work so I’m eating ice cream to make me feel better”. HERE’S THE KEY: now ask yourself, “Ok, so if I eat this ice cream, is it going to resolve my issues at work and make me feel better?” Most likely, the answer will be no and you can then use that split second of awareness to make another choice and go for a walk, call a friend for a chat, have a tea…..do something that won’t leave you feeling guilty and sluggish.
So don’t worry, you are completely capable of breaking free from the sugar devouring zombie herd!!
You got this!