Nourishment Doesn’t Always Come From Food
Hey friend, so I’m here to share some ways to think about nourishing your body, mind and spirit that don’t necessarily have to do with diligently controlling your food intake….
Is there another way?! You ask……
But wait, why am I even using the word “nourishment” if I’m not talking about food?
That’s a great question!
The reason I am using the word nourishment outside of its regular foodie context is because we often find ourselves so over-focused on food that we forget about all the other simple and wonderful ways to nourish ourselves.
What does it mean to nourish myself without food?
We forget that taking a walk in a forest with our dog is calming and rejuvenating.
That lying on your bed listening to your favorite song while feeling the breeze kissing your face is soothing and relaxing.
That feeling the grass tickle your feet as you watch the clouds drift by is as good as meditation!
We actually “eat” all day with our senses… we “consume” our environment through touch, feel, taste, sound and sight.
Here are 5 ways to nourish your senses, starting today…
- Relationships: Seek out and nurture relationships with friends and lovers that make you feel good about yourself and say goodbye to the ones that drain your energy. When you meet someone knew and you have that feeling like, “yep, they’re awesome….I want to be their friend” go with it!
- Environment: Remember that your environment affects your mood and energy. So if you are stuck in an office all day staring at a wall, it’s time to kick off your shoes and run wild through a park so you can feel sunshine on your back and breeze on your skin.
- Connections: We spend so much of our time alone at our computers or behind high walls and yet it’s so important for our spirits to make connections with others. So join a club or an online Meetup and make new connections!
- Sleep: There is no way around it—there is just nothing quite like sleep to rejuvenate your body and restore your entire system to better functioning. Sleeping is when your body recalibrates itself back to the butt kicking being that it is during the day….so make sure you don’t cut this process short.
- Movement: Movement sparks your endorphins, which make you feel energized and excited and keeps the oxygen circulating through your system, so you can feel refreshed and alive.
So remember, nourishment isn’t ALWAYS about the food you are putting in to your body. It’s about much much more than that….the things you take in all day long with all of your senses go in to creating the experience you are having. Knowing this will help you cultivate the types of activities and environments you can thrive from.
For me? A walk in the woods with my hubby and dog Dexter, sitting in the sun reading an inspiring book, meeting up with a friend for a workout, having a chat session with my mentor……
What does nourishment look like for you?